Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fiction vs. Reality

After listening to the lecture of visitor Julian Bleecker I began to think differently about some of the language I was using with my group.

Our physical (presentable) project was only a model, given that in "real life" polystyrene and servos would be replaced by other materials and possible mechanisms. I kept using the term real life to describe the intended application (what some might call overall concept) of our project.

Julian said something about using fiction to test... (I don't want to say anymore before I check my source. Sometimes I wish I had a notebook and pencil attached to my side) I felt like this is exactly what we are doing, setting up a fictional scenario to test a possible real-life application.

...if what we have created is a fictional scenario, then have we created a fictional object?

Is it possible that our model is fiction, and what it represents is reality? (I say reality rather than fact because there might faults (impossibilities) in our proposal)

However John brought up a good point, why are we calling the model fiction when in fact it is the only piece of the project that exists in our reality...?




No comments:

Post a Comment