Friday, December 4, 2009

All the Single Ladies

Being a single mother is a tough job. Yesterday we received another batch of algae from the helpful folks at Sunnyside Sea Farms. Because our algae is not growing as quickly as we thought it might, we wanted to make sure we have enough to produce the desired effect. So we ordered 4 liters.

These little guys arrived in 4 1L bottles and were highly concentrated. Because the organisms are tropical, there was some concern in having them delivered to our 38ยบ Michigan weather. When the bottles arrived they were quite cold, so I rushed home and turned on the heater. Apparently I had underestimated the amount of algae we were actually receiving. This sounds dumb because I knew we had ordered 4L.... but I hadn't thought about the amount of space they needed. Before the arrival I had prepared 4 2L bottles half full with salt water (specific gravity 1.019). When I added the algae to the bottles they were full. Hmm. I don't think this is good.

Tonight I am going to prepare 4 more 2L bottles and spread the guys out a bit. Just having the algae in my room stresses me out. I'm sure that I have done everything to take care of them, but the more we have the harder it gets. And we just asked John Marshall to order us 3-4 more liters! AHHHH! This is definitely becoming a two person job. We want to make sure we have enough algae to really wow the crowd, but we don't want to have too much to take care of.

1 comment: